Thank you for showing an interest in supporting the work of our organisation. Our next volunteer recruitment training will now take place in January 2019. Please check back on our website around this time, or contact via the enquiry form, for further information on the exact dates and how to access an application form.
For interest in the Re:connect project please contact Anna Gibb using the enquiry form.
GAMH are always looking to recruit a wide and diverse range of volunteers who can bring their own knowledge, skills and experience to a variety of volunteering roles providing creative support to individuals and to the organisation. You may have specific skills such as cooking, music, IT, gardening, art or sport. All we ask is that you can commit to 2-3 hours on a regular basis for a minimum 6 month commitment.
We offer an individual a range of individualised support and opportunities and support can be provided on an individual or group basis.
We currently have the following volunteering opportunities:
The Volunteer Befriending Service offers a supportive, time limited relationship with individuals who may not require support from a paid employee. Having a befriender can help reduce social isolation and provide support for people to do things they might find difficult on their own. The volunteer can meet up with a person on a regular basis (weekly or fortnightly) to share an activity together, planned on the basis of the service user’s needs and interests, eg going out for walk, visiting a museum, going to the cinema. Volunteers claim out of pocket expenses and the service user is expected to cover their own costs
Group / Activity volunteer
Volunteers can also assist individuals to actively take part in a range of collective activities which aim to build skills, capabilities and promote mental health recovery. Currently volunteers assist service users to take part in a range of activities eg. Walking with Friends, Cycling with Friends, GAMH Community Garden and Allotments, Men’s & Women’s Recovery Programmes.
Our peer mentoring project for mental health carers, Re:connect, is continuing to develop its peer support model in both our Carers and Young Carers projects. ‘Peer Mentoring’ connects mental health carers in a 1 to 1 peer relationship where they can share their experiences, exchange and develop self-management techniques, and focus on promoting their own wellbeing.
if interested and would like to know more please select Re:connect from the volunteer enquiry form
What can we offer you?
As a volunteer with GAMH you can expect the following:
- Volunteer induction training programme which includes communication, mental health awareness, boundaries, confidentiality and equalities.
- To develop your existing skills and gain experience of working in a mental health organisation.
- Have ongoing support and supervision from an experienced volunteer coordinator / named person.
- Package of training eg. Scottish Mental Health First Aid, Adult Protection, Strength Based Practice in addition to external training from partnership agencies on topics relating to mental health.
- Reimbursement for any out of pocket expenses.
- Clear health & safety, policies and procedures in place.
- Be recognised and valued and have access to opportunities for career progression.
The Recruitment Process
- Volunteer application form
- Informal discussion
- Seek references from 2 named persons
- Volunteer induction training programme (6 modules)
- Free PVG (Protecting Vulnerable Groups) enhanced disclosure check
- Final Interview (determine suitability)
- Volunteer Opportunity
We provide regular volunteer induction training programmes at various times of the year
Please note that our next Volunteer Induction sessions will be held early in the New Year 2018
You can see more about our opportunities from our Peer Support, Volunteering and Employability section within our resources page.
To get involved
Use the details below or fill in our enquiry form
Michelle McBride, Volunteer Coordinator –
Tel: 0141 425 4850
Lynne Lamb, Volunteer Coordinator –
North East & South
Tel: 0141 425 4850
Anna Gibb, Participation Coordinator –
Re:connect, Carers Project
Tel: 0141 552 5592
Feedback from current volunteers
The support has been excellent and you are able to develop, you are made to feel a valued part of the organisation
I am able to contribute and be involved within an organisation that has an ethos of inclusion
Training courses gives us extra knowledge and can be put on my C.V